Blueberries… Blueberries everywhere. I can honestly say that the internet is flooded with them this time of the year, and I totally get it! Blueberries are superstars: they`re healthy and really delicious! When I saw them at the market, I knew I had to buy some and prepare a recipe for the blog. And since there are so many pies and muffins out there, I decided to go with something else. Something like a Blueberry Arugula Salad.
I made a statement and I want to strengthen it: Blueberries are superstars. Here`s why:
- Blueberries are packed with antioxidants. They have the highest antioxidant capacity of all fresh fruits. Plus, there is exciting new evidence that blueberries can improve memory.
- Blueberries are considered to slow the aging process .
- One cup of blueberries delivers 14% of the daily recommended dose of fiber and 25% of Vitamin C.
- Blueberries are also low in calories, about 80 calories per cup!
- Blueberries also provide iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, copper, beta-carotene, folate, Vitamin A, B 6, K and E.
- These superfruits are also linked to maintaining healthy bones, lowering blood pressure, preventing cancer, weight loss and satiety, healthy digestion and improving mental health.
Enough said. Plus, they`re really good looking! Am I right?
So, after I bought the blueberries, I faced a really big decision: what to prepare with them? The options are really endless: Blueberry Pie? Too hot! Blueberry Muffins? No oven at 40 degrees Celsius outside. Blueberry Overnight oats? Too soon! And since it was lunch and I was really hungry I decided it will be a salad. Fresh blueberries are healthier anyway! I checked the fridge and pantry and gathered the ingredients:
Blueberry Arugula Salad it is then! This awesome combination was enriched by the addition of walnuts and goat cheese. I also put together my favorite clean eating dressing with honey, lemon, olive oil and oregano. Delicious and healthy!
This Blueberry Arugula Salad tastes divine. The sweetness of the blueberries goes great with the salty cheese and the walnuts. A great addition to this salad would have been a Gorgonzola cheese, but I didn`t have any. Feel free to add your favorite cheese, the options are infinite!
So there it is, my quick, super healthy and amazingly delicious lunch, Blueberry Arugula Salad. Perfect for the hot summer days!
- 2 Cups Arugula
- ½ Cup Blueberries
- ⅓ Cup Walnuts
- ⅓ Cup shredded Goat Cheese
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Honey
- ½ Tbsp Lemon Juice
- ½ Tsp Oregano
- a dash of salt and pepper
- For the dressing, mix the lemon juice with the honey, stir well and then add the olive oil, slowly, until combined. Add the oregano, pepper and salt (not too much if the cheese is salty).
- Put arugula in a salad bowl. On top of it add the walnuts, cheese and blueberries.
- Drizzle the dressing and serve immediately.