I don`t know how the weather is in your area, but Romania is currently going through an extreme heat wave. All the AC in the world can`t handle the temperatures around here. Giving the situation, you can imagine that I`m suffering from a bad case of “I`d rather have a salad” so I decided this is the perfect moment to share with you the simplest, fastest, healtiest and most delicious ice cream recipe there is, the Frozen Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches.
You can basically make this ice cream in 5 minutes from 1 ingredient: FROZEN BANANAS. From this point let your imagination run wild. I know I did, and as a result the amazing Frozen Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches recipe was born. Prepare to be enchanted!
Stunning, right? Ice cream made of frozen bananas is a winner! I must admit, I was a little skeptical when seeing this on Pinterest, but trust me, the end result is fantastic, a must try for everyone, especially since:
- It`s a very easy to make recipe. It basically contains one ingredient for the actual ice cream. You just need a blender and that`s it! You can of course add other delicious stuff to improve it. I added peanut butter, because I just don`t think one could turn down “peanut butter banana” anything!
- It`s super fast! The ice cream takes like 5 minutes to make. The Frozen Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches were ready in about 20 minutes or so! I choose to prepare a more complex recipe for this post, since I usually just open the freezer, grab the frozen bananas and whip the “Ice cream”.
- It is extremely healthy. I mean, hello! Bananas! A lot of nutritional benefits, as you know! We talked about that when I shared with you the versatility of bananas in a clean eating kitchen, as it successfully substitutes many bad ingredients. I used this amazing swap in my Peanut Butter Banana Muffins and in the Pancakes recipe.
- It`s really tasty! You will never know it`s not actual ice cream. Minus the artificial ingredients.
So, as I was saying earlier, the basic recipe is super easy. You just blend the frozen bananas and Voila! The Frozen Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream is ready to be served and devoured! No ice cream machine! No bake! If you are really organized, like I am, you will never be caught with out a bag of frozen bananas in your fridge. Never again. Just in case you need a healthy midnight snack. Or an late dessert. Or a yummy breakfast. Whatever!
Ok…You got me! Fine, I love Ice Cream! I can take on a half a kilo of my favorite with no problems. I just choose not to (with great difficulty I might add!). Lucky for me, I discovered this guilt free ice cream, made of frozen bananas.
If you want more from this delicious treat, things become really fun! For me it was when I realized it totally needs peanut butter. And almonds. And chocolate. And the list could go on and on! And then, I remembered how much Gabi likes Ice cream sandwiches. Plus, I already imagined how the photos will look. So that`s how the Frozen Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches recipe was born.
Since I was not going to turn on the oven to bake cookies for the sandwiches, I went with a “no bake cookie recipe”, using a blender and the basic ingredients I use to make the granola bars: oats, almonds, dates. And chocolate, of course!
I used cookie cutters for the dough, in different sizes, so I could capture the photos I had in mind. Don`t stress to much over that, the Frozen Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches will be over before you know it and it really won`t matter if the sandwiches were similar in shape or size.
In another train of thoughts, Gabi was so excited when he walked into the kitchen to see what I`m up to, that he decided we should decorate the ice cream sandwich cake with grated Oreos. So, that`s how my clean eating, Frozen Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches got the Oreo treatment! I don`t recommend it though! Things get really messy as you can tell for yourselves and the calorie count sky rockets! Gabi regretted it badly 5 minutes later, when he started to peel off the Oreo layer off the sandwiches.
I really hope I convinced you to give this amazing Frozen Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches recipe a try. The frozen banana ice cream is a must for every one, a great clean eating dessert, but the no bake cookies are also delicious. Plus they go really good together.
So, what do you think? Will you make the Frozen Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches? Do you have other great recipes for this versatile dessert? Leave a comment bellow!
And if you make this recipe, tag your photos with the tag #broccoliandmuffins and share it with us on Instagram or Facebook.
- For the cookies:
- 50 gr almonds
- 30 gr chocolate
- 1 cup oats
- 200 gr dates, pitted and soaked in water
- For the ice cream
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- Cut the bananas in small slices and freeze them for 1-2 hours. I freeze in advance, more bananas, so some stay overnight. But 2 hours should be enough.
- In a high speed blender, add the banana slices and blend until smooth ad creamy. You might have to open the blender and mix the bananas, to make sure all of them reach the blades. Don`t worry if at first it doesn`t look like ice cream, once the bananas start to melt, the mixture will be creamy.
- After that, add the peanut butter, either in the blender, if you want it to be perfectly mixed, or with a spoon, if you want a more uneven composition. I used the blender.
- For the cookies, blend the dates, until they become a gluey paste. Add the oats, almonds and chocolate. Mix well.
- Roll the cookie dough and cut in the desired sizes and shapes.
- You can assemble the sandwiches inside the cookie cutters, so they keep their shape. Cut the first cookie, and after the second one, don`t take it out, keep it as a base. Add ice cream on top and then the first cookie. Then, slowly push the sandwich out of the cookie cutter. Or you can use the cutters to cut the dough and then assemble as you wish.
- The Frozen Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches can be served on spot or you can freeze them to be more firm.
Since my cookies were of different sizes I was not able to calculate an exact calorie count for each so the values are for all the sandwiches.