From the series “Preparations for the holiday”, today I give you the last installment, called “what are we going to eat for lunch and/or dinner?”. To keep up with the Mediterranean theme that will govern the weeks to come, we talked and decided to prepare Tomato and Mozzarella Quesadillas with Basil.
This so called “recipe” is:
- Quick and easy to prepare, it`s basically ready in 10 minutes;
- Healthy is an understatement, considering the fact that it has been scientifically proven that the Mediterranean diet reduces the risk o cardiovascular diseases;
- Last, but not least, DELICIOUS!
I don`t know about you, but we are crazy about mozzarella and tomato salad, a classical Mediterranean combination. As I was mentioning before, studies show that this diet is extremely healthy. About 30 percent of heart attacks, strokes and deaths from heart disease can be prevented in people at high risk if they switch to a Mediterranean diet rich in olive oil, nuts, beans, fish, fruits and vegetables, and even drink wine with meals, a large and rigorous new study has found. The study was published on the New England Journal of Medicine, and was based on the first clinical trial that measured the effect of this diet on heart disease risks. New York Times reports that the study ended early, after almost five years, because the results were so clear it was considered unethical to continue. With so many benefits for the health and such an amazing flavor, who in his right mind would say no to a tomato mozzarella quesadilla with basil?
We decided to give this recipe a personal touch, so we replaced the tomatoes with dried and then marinated tomatoes (which I totally adore) and basil. Also, I added kalamata olives, that completed the picture in style. Gabi did not want mozzarella in his quesadillas so I substituted with goat cheese. Both types were absolutely delicious, so feel free to add your favorite cheese.
Although we are not quesadilla fans, I really wanted to find a way to pack healthy and delicious meals for the road trip in order to make the experience as smooth as possible. That meant easy to make, transport and consume. With so many expectations, I had to compromise somewhere so I went to the supermarket and bought some Mediterranean tortillas. I had no idea they make those nowadays!
The cooking process is really quick and easy. The kind where you put everything together in the tortilla and toss it in the skillet for 2-3 minutes, or until it browns. Then you fold the tortilla and turn it over, for another 2 minutes, or until the cheese starts melting really nice. I sincerely recommend not to chose fresh mozzarella. I know it`s delicious and really healthy, but it also has tons of water that will soften your tortilla, borderline with compromising the entire Tomato and Mozzarella Quesadillas with Basil recipe.
10 minutes later, the meals for the road trip were cooked, packed and ready for take off. Quick, easy, healthy, tasty and in line with the destination!
What do you think? Will you replace the gas station sandwich with this Tomato and Mozzarella Quesadillas with Basil? Leave a comment below with your opinion and if you prepare the recipe, take a snapshot of the results and share it with us on Facebook or Instagram, using the #broccoliandmuffins tag!
Don`t forget to subscribe for our awesome newsletter and get all the updates straight to your mailbox!
- 1 tortilla
- 200 gr mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided into 2 portions of 100 gr each
- 30 gr tomatoes, dried and marnated
- 10 olives, kalamata
- a few basil leaves, torn
- Lay the tortilla flat, and on half of it place the ingredients in the following order: first add one portion of mozzarella, then add the kalamata olives, then the tomatoes. On top of the tomatoes, place the basil cloves. Top everything with the other portion on mozzarella cheese. This way, the melted mozzarella will act as a glue, keeping all the ingredients in place in the fragile tortilla.
- Place in a skillet, previously coated with olive oil, for 2-3 minute, over medium fire, until the tortilla get brown and the cheese starts melting.
- Then, fold the tortilla (the empty side n top of the one with all the ingredients) and turn it on the other side, for another 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Cut in half and serve right away.